- Following instructions from Dr. Burke is very important. This will not only keep you healthy, but it will help with recovery time and your ultimate results. During your consultation Dr. Burke will talk with you about things to avoid before and after procedures and/or surgery.
- Smoking can interfere with the healing process. We always recommend that you stop smoking at least one month prior to a procedure or surgery. We also suggest that you not smoke at least two weeks after your procedure or surgery.
- Medications that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, Vitamin E, and all herbal supplements should be discontinued at least one or two weeks prior to surgery and for at least one week after surgery. These medications can cause prolonged bleeding. If you need to take a pain reliever, we suggest taking Tylenol.
- Prior to procedures and/or surgery, we suggest that you fill your prescriptions so that you do not have any errands immediately thereafter.
- Having surgery can be a stressful process. Make sure that you get lots of rest before and after your surgery. Listen to your body and what it is telling you to do. During your consultation, we will provide you with the specific guidelines to follow according to the surgery that you have scheduled.
Surgical Procedures in a Hospital
- Do not eat or drink anything at least eight hours prior to your scheduled surgery time.
- You will not be able to drive following surgery. Arrange for a responsible driver to bring you to the hospital and be available to pick you up after the surgery.
We understand the importance of properly taking care of your body before and after procedures and/or surgery. We will be happy to answer any questions that you have along the way. Dr. Burke and the staff at Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery will do everything they can to ensure you receive the results you have been looking for.
For more information, contact us today at (804) 484-3700.